Genre: Domestic Fiction
Publication Date: 2/06/2018
Plot Summary: A newlywed couple’s life is derailed when the groom is falsely accused of sexual assault. The novel examines the effect incarceration has on the person who is detained and on the people who care about him.
- The narrative style is like an interview or a series of journal entries from the characters in the book.
- The book gives fresh insight on the effects of wrongful convictions and mass incarceration.
- Jones does an excellent job of exploring how different characters react to the situation.
Things to consider while reading the book:
- Is there a good guy or a bad guy in this book?
- Does every book need a good guy or a bad guy?
- Does every marriage have a good guy and a bad guy?
- What questions is Jones asking about marriage?
- What questions is Jones asking about race in the United States?
- What questions is Jones asking about the American criminal justice system?